Presented as part of the Darwin Aboriginal Art Fair Foundation’s Indigenous Fashion Projects
Welcome to the very first National Indigenous Fashion Awards (NIFA), a new event that showcases Australian Indigenous fashion and design to the world.
The amazing success of the annual fashion show Country to Couture has led to the creation of the National Indigenous Fashion Awards! Country to Couture has been postponed for 2020, but the NIFA promises to be a great celebration of this emerging industry.
The Northern Territory champions the field of Indigenous art and culture, and is at the forefront when it comes to capturing the magic of cultural storytelling and knowledge sharing in new and innovative ways. The NIFA recognises and celebrates the emerging Indigenous designers who are achieving this through fashion and textiles.
Congratulations to all the NIFA winners:
- Peggy Griffiths for the Cultural Adornment and Wearable Art Award – co-presented with DAAFF
- Kieren Karritpul for the Textile Design Award – co-presented with RMIT University and Ross Bonthorne
- Maara Collective X Bula’bula Arts for the Community Collaboration Award – co-presented with Northern Territory Government
- Ninti One for the Environmental and Social Contribution Award – co-presented with Northern Land Council
- Bede Tungutalum for the Special Recognition Award – co-presented with Northern Territory Government
- Julie Shawfor the Fashion Design Award – co-presented with Country Road
If you missed the show last week you can see it tonight (Thu 13 Aug) on NITV at 6.45pm.
Image Aly de Groot X Anindilyakwa Arts Bush Dye Collection, Country to Couture 2019
- Photo Kate Noble Photography
Pinoy Street Party
From Manila to Marrara
Fri 14 AugBuy Tickets
An album launch party and celebration of Darwin’s Filipino culture
Thu 6 - Sun 9 AugBuy Tickets
A hilarious black comedy for anyone who's ever tried to fit in – but failed.
Streets of Darwin
Caiti Baker, Arran Barker, Broadwing, Tracey Bunn, Ben Evolent, Mandy Garling, David Garnham & Stevie Jean
Sun 16 AugBuy Tickets
We’re closing DF20 with a musical love letter to the streets of our town