A Sustainable Festival
Things we do to
help the environment
- Darwin Festival acknowledges our environmental responsibility and strives to be a catalyst for environmental change.
- We are committed to actioning initiatives that protect our natural environments and benchmark our environmental impact.
- We lead environmental best practices in the Northern Territory arts and cultural sector incorporating prevention, reduction, and restoration.
- We strive to reduce consumption of physical resources; reuse and recycle; engage renewables; and employ processes and products that eliminate toxic materials.
- We will consistently measure and reduce our impacts on the environment, while offsetting the remaining carbon emissions involved in presenting our Festival.
- Let us all tread lightly to minimise Darwin Festival’s footprint
100% Carbon Neutral Festival
- In 2021 we are working with an accredited carbon emissions auditor to assess our Darwin Festival 2021 carbon footprint. We are committed to offsetting all of our carbon emissions, including all travel and accommodation associated with the Festival with a Northern Territory carbon credit organisation in 2022.
How we are minimising our environmental impact
- Our output of solid waste has reduced by 49,248L since 2019 through our food waste and composting efforts, saving approximately 3 Toyota Landcruisers from landfill!
- In 2021, we crushed 2,400 wine and spirit glass bottles into 1.5 tonnes of material for construction projects.
- We provide all staff and volunteers with reusable water bottles and partner with Power & Water to provide water stations at our Festival hubs.
- We engage independent experts to accurately measure waste and emissions data, informing our future reductions targets for 2022 and beyond.
- We encourage public transport use through free bus travel for all ticketholders and volunteers.
How you can join us in our vision to reduce our impact
- Walk or ride to events if you can
- Whenever possible, take public transport. Ride FREE on Darwin Public Transport with a Darwin Festival event ticket for that same day
- Carpool or scoot between Festival venues on an e-scooter
- Say no to single-use plastic, bring your own drinking containers or purchase a reusable cup from the bar
- Use the four bin system provided in Festival Park
- Recycle your Darwin Festival program guide or gift it to a friend