After a decade of playing within her spiritual access point and avatar, Betty Grumble (performance artist Emma Maye Gibson) re-emerges, bringing her latest offering back to the stage as a mantric wish.
Enemies of Grooviness Eat Shit is a self-reflective, regenerative dive into the compost bin of making and moving through the trouble; of defying the ever-present cultures of violence and ecocide. Across the season Gibson returns Grumble from whence she came, performing an unfurling of the eco-feminist carapace that gave her a way to heal, feel and defy the damn enemies of grooviness that keep, her, them, you, all of us down.
Enemies of Grooviness Eat Shit is poetry, tribute, a rock ‘n’ roll performance art collision, love scene and revenge fantasy; an unshaming dance and a chance to allow ourselves to be seen. You are invited into a sensual, surreal and sublime experience of an all singing, dancing, howling and loving Cabaret du Sex Clown. Let’s have fun!
'Funny, filthy, deeply felt, unapologetic, full-frontal... She reclaims pleasure and joy as a pathway to catharsis, and parallels the personal with the political.’
'Transformative and WILD. See Grumble.’
Creator Emma Maye Gibson
- Performers Betty Grumble & Megana Holliday
- Dramaturg & Art Doula Victoria Spence
- Original Dramaturgical Team Dr Vivienne Linsley, Charlotte Farrell & Dr Annie Sprinkle
- Care Consultant Stella Delight
- Sound Designers Betty Grumble & stereogamous
- Pussy Print Flag Ms Saffaa
- Costume Designers Matthew Stegh & Haus of Helmutti
- Lighting Designer & Operator Alex Torney
Producer Performing Lines
- Photos Liz Ham
Produced by Performing Lines.
This project was originally supported by The Red Rattler Theatre.