From Australia’s internationally acclaimed Back to Back Theatre, a professional theatre company with an ensemble of actors with disabilities at its core, comes the darkly humorous film, SHADOW.
Simon, Scott and Sarah, a trio of activists with intellectual disabilities, hold a town hall meeting about the future impacts of artificial intelligence. Simon, considering himself a saviour for the community, quickly appoints himself the mayor, and Scott reluctantly steps into the role of facilitator, but soon becomes enamoured with his own power and begins to dismiss the experiences of others. Sarah, often overlooked and underestimated by her counterparts, explodes, confronting the self-appointed leaders on their inadequacies. What begins as a polite discussion quickly descends into bickering and chaos, seemingly provoked by a force within. Sarah acts to unite the group, only to realise the battle to get their message across may be lost already.
Directed by Bruce Gladwin, SHADOW is based on Back to Back Theatre’s extraordinary award-winning stage play The Shadow Whose Prey The Hunter Becomes. Using a combination of dramatic and documentary-style elements to tell the story, it explores ideas of individual versus collective responsibility when we are trying to make decisions that are in the best interests of society.
Before the main event enjoy music from a local artist Katharina Fehringer and then two short film collaborations from Back to Back Theatre: RADIAL (Scotland, 2018), and the Darwin Festival edition of The Democratic Set (2012).
Stick around after the films for a post-show chat with key creatives about the work of this visionary company.
Director Bruce Gladwin
- Screenplay Michael Chan, Mark Deans, Bruce Gladwin, Simon Laherty, Sarah Mainwaring, Scott Price, Sonia Teuben
- Based on the Back to Back Theatre stage production The Shadow Whose Prey the Hunter Becomes
- Producer Alice Fleming
- Director of Photography & Editor Rhian Hinkley
- Musical Composition Luke Howard Trio (Luke Howard, Daniel Farrugia, Jonathan Zion)
- Art Director Tao Weis
- Costume Designer Shio Otani
- Associate Producer Meret Hassanen
- Assistant Producer Pippa Wright
- Executive Producers Bruce Gladwin & Tim Stitz
- Mark Mark Deans
- Simon Simon Laherty
- Sarah Sarah Mainwaring
- Scott Scott Price
- A.I. Belinda McClory
- Reporter Brian Lipson
- Documentary Director Breanna Deleo
- Life Drawing Teacher Iris Walshe-Howling
- Life Drawing Model Phillip Besancon
- Photos Jeff Busby & Tao Weis